Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Something about the long-view

Beth was frustrated with a work situation and unsure about how to proceed. I asked her if this frustration would have any affect on her team's performance or moral in six months and she replied, "no."

I am not sure how it applies to life in general, but it seems it might.

As I fell asleep last night, in my usual half-meditative, half conscious, half asleep state, my mind lingered on this thought, applying it to key situations in my life, including close friendships and work. It seems to me, especially over the long term, nothing but good results can occur if I continue to show up and try my best.

I can imagine the richness which will develop in relationships when I forecast out six, ten and twenty years from now. I can imagine the quality of my work the longer I am a professional.

Is there a situation or a relationship in which it may be helpful for you to look at from the long-view? Does seeing the potential of where that situation or relationship might be in six months or six years help to ease the frustration you are now experiencing?

Sure, all of us, or each of us could die tomorrow. And, we should do everything we can today to live out our values, including doing our best in key relationships. But, chances are, most of us will be here in twenty years. Imagine how wonderful our lives can be in twenty years if we show up today and tomorrow and the next day, and try our best.

There's something about the long-view.

No comments: