Sunday, September 03, 2006

I feel so Gen Y

Beth and I are "hiving"... it is apparently a new American trend and since Beth and I love being just like everyone else we thought it was time to join in!

As I understand hiving, it takes place when two or more people in the same room or household, or even in a coffee shop setting, are each using personal technology, usually laptops or cell phones, to connect to friends and family in another location. Often times hivers use instant messaging from their cell phones or over the internet. The hivers then can share conversation about their online or cell phone conversations or discuss their online findings. It allows technology users to hang out with one another while still accomplishing their online tasks.

At first I was sort of anti-hiving. However, I now see the advantages. If, before our hiving, I wanted to post on my blog or send emails to friends, it would separate me from hanging out with Beth; me on the computer in the office, her in some other part of the house. Thanks to my installation this morning of a wireless router, we are each sitting in the living room working on our work laptops (oops, hope its okay I am using this for personal use!) sending emails, looking stuff up online and still able to have conversation and be together. Its not how I would want to spend all my quality time with Beth, but it is a nice way to accomplish our online tasks and still be together.

And its comfortable. The house is clean, which I love, the dogs are exercised and laying at our feet, we are listening to somafm.com online radio through our living room stereo which is wired to our PC in the office and enjoying our afternoon. So, maybe those Gen Y-ers are onto something.

So far the weekend has been what I needed. Hanging out and connecting with Beth, attending some fun activities, like the Art Walk on Friday night and wiener dog races last night (yes wiener dog races!), sleeping in this morning and making a great breakfast, and now hanging out and hiving! We also spent some time after breakfast discussing our priorities for house projects. This evening we go to our friends house for game night and we still have tomorrow to get more things accomplished and get some further R and R.

Just what I needed!

No comments: