Thursday, June 08, 2006

Proud to be an American

When the church man stopped signing and the applause began, I was proud. Proud of the good that can come from democracy. Trinity is democracy done right.


The only woman on the newly instated Chandler City council, old enough only to have graduated high school in 1995 and the only council member that could motivate me to come to her swearing in. And, she didn'’t even ask.

It was a moment, actually a series of moments, one only witnesses in life a few times. One of those moments, when the people sharing it are truly together. Together, with the only cue each person's passion, the applause rose, expressing our joy, honoring her oath of commitment to each of us.



If I saw what I thought, I wasn't the only one. She radiated, some positive, affirming glow catching each of us. If I saw what I thought, then our country is in good hands.

When I left, with the too sticky sweet words still ringing my ears, I had just a little more faith.



No comments: